Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:03:25 +0100
From:      Johannes Dieterich <dieterich.joh@googlemail.com>
To:        Martin <nakal@web.de>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.1 Release and usb keyboard/mouse problems

Hello Martin and Tony,

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Martin <nakal@web.de> wrote:

> Am Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:23:09 +1100
> schrieb Tony Maher <tonymaher@optusnet.com.au>:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been running FreeBSD 7 from around 2008-10-20 and experienced
> > the occasional problems with usb mouse and keyboard.  The mouse
> > pointer slowly drift to a corner of the screen and not respond, and
> > the keyboard would become unresponsive. Unplugging and plugging back
> > in fixed the problem. This would happen a few times per week.
>
> Hi,
>
> I've reported problems like this on -STABLE more than once already.
> Apparently it is a very uncommon problem for the developers. I have to
> say that all my new PCs and the new laptop has problems with USB
> keyboards and mice generally. The laptop (IBM Thinkpad T60p) has the
> most problems, -STABLE switches the USB devices off in intervals of
> about 2h.
>
> I have updated (flashed) my BIOS firmware on this mainboard here
> (Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R rev 2.1) to the recent firmware F4a (it's a
> 6 month old beta release).

I am adding a "me too" here. Interesting is, that I see same behaviour on
two Gigabyte boards, a GA-MA790X-DS4 and another one (model number I do not
have right here ATM, need to check, Intel-based board though). No problems
on my Thinkpad X60s though.

> The problem worsened now. I cannot get my USB mouse working until I
> reattach it physically. This is not a problem on other OSes, it seems.

Also here a me too. Reattaching always works, on the intel-based board I've
been running an openSUSE 10.3 w/o problems.

> During device detection and initialization of uhci/ehci my USB-mouse
> is switched off and does not get power anymore.

The usb port of the GA-MA790X-DS4 actually get powered off if USB mouse is
plugged-in during boot. This also causes a time-out which sucks a little.
Johannes