Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 20:13:54 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "secondary" gateway?

In the last episode (Dec 17), Eduardo Viruena Silva said:
> I have a FreeBSD box with two ethernet cards:  ep0 and ed1. They
> connect my computer to two different networks. One of the networks
> frecuently fails and my computer gets isolated. In this cases, I
> delete the default route and set it again through the other
> interface.
>
> Is it possible to have a backup default route ? How can I do it?

The only way I know of is to run 'routed' on the FreeBSD machine, which
will make it listen on both networks for routing broadcasts.  When one
network goes down, it should fall back to the other network.  This will
only work if the primary routers on both networks are broadcasting RIP
or IRDP packets.  Check the 'routed' manpage for more information.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com