Date:      Sun, 4 Sep 2016 18:47:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm does not work with xfce

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016, Polytropon wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 03:29:36 -0400 (EDT), doug@safeport.com wrote:
>> To get xdm to work I copied /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to $home/.xinitrc.
>> I have a .xsession file contining startxfce4. I commented out the last line in
>> /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config.
>
> The xdm display manager does not use .xinitrc, it only uses .xsession.
> Only if you "starx", .xinitrc will be considered. For "maximum compatibility"
> you can use a "cascade" like this:
>
> File .xsession:
>
> 	#!/bin/csh
> 	source ~/.cshrc
> 	exec ~/.xinitrc
>
> File .xinitrc:
>
> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	[ -f ~/.xmodmaprc ] && xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
> 	numlockx
> 	# ... more "autostart" stuff if needed ...
> 	exec startxfce4
>
> Now all your settings can reside in .xinitrc, and when you use xdm, they will
> still be executed. The last line must start with "exec". After the program
> specified here exits, control should be given back to xdm.
>
> Note that this example assumes you have the C shell as your dialog shell,
> so all their settings (from .cshrc) will be "inherited" in shells started
> inside X.

It turns out you are correct, the .xinitrc is doing nothing with .xsession. The
first login after a reboot failing or not is also random. Just took longer or I
is to use your technique and try to simulate the user mode start. Too bad
because it was a 'magic' one line fix in fbsd 10.1.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug@safeport.com