Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:46:59 +0200
From:      CARTER Anthony <a.carter@cordis.lu>
To:        "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   URGENT HELP REQUIRED

Please help otherwise I am in serious DOO DA!!!

I have done a CVSUP this morning.

I did a buildworld
I did a buildkernel
I did an installkernel
I did a reboot to single user mode
I dir a mergemaster -p
I did a make installworld
I did a mergemaster and sorted everything out.
I did a reboot and OMG...

On bootup I get:

acpi_cpu: autothrottle...
Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point
pid 62 (dd), uid 0: exited on signal 4
Illegal instruction
pid 66 (ps), uid 0: exited on signal 4
pid 67 (sysctl), uid 0: exited on signal 4
pid 69 (df), uid 0: exited on signal 4
pid 65 (ps), uid 0: exited on signal 4
pid 64 (dd), uid 0: exited on signal 4
pid 72 (dd), uid 0: exited on signal 4
Illegal instruction
swap_on...
pid 86 (fsck_ufs), uid 0: exited on signal 4
Unkown Error: Help!
/bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally
booting to single user mode

Right, I can get into single user mode, but am a little restricter...I get
core dumps on trying to anything useful. I tried re-building world but get
and error at the beginning in the fortune compile:
Error in function main
Internal instruction: Illegal instruction

I believe it is related to the above...

Anyway, I am STUCK...I can mount root forcibly and can vi files so I am
hoping...:D
I have not got backups (dumb me), primarily cause I have no means to...

If you require anything from me to help you help me, please ask and give me
details on how to proceed...gonna cry...

Thanks,
Anthony Carter on his knees...