Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 17:27:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        paulo@thor.dee.uc.pt
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, paulo@isr.uc.pt
Subject:   Re: Upgrade of Mesa

 * I am once again porting the new version of Mesa to FreeBSD.
 * Now I have a question, in the previous version I have used  for  version
 * numbers of  the shared libraries the pre-previous + 1 rule.

There is a reason behind the library versions increasing, and why they
can never decrease between releases.  Please see the handbook (28.3 or
something).

 * But I think it makes little sense in using something in FreeBSD like
 * ....so.14.0 where the other systems use .so.2.1 for the same version.

It's not like we can share libraries and binaries with other systems
anyway. :)  Just because other systems are being sloppy with shared
library numbering doesn't mean we should do the same.

 * What do you recomend, using the release number for these or ignore it and
 * add a symlink like "ln -s ***.so.2.1 ***.so.14.0"?

That won't do any good. :(

Satoshi