Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:20:10 -0500
From:      Dan Mack <mack@macktronics.com>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sysinstall is no longer the default installer

On Mar 14, 2011, at 9:13 AM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

> I just committed (r219641) changes that make the release =
infrastructure (src/release/Makefile) use bsdinstall by default instead =
of sysinstall on install media. A big thank you is in order to everyone =
who provided advice, criticism, and testing for this project over the =
last few months!
>=20
> Along with sysinstall, the original sysinstall build stuff has been =
preserved (now /usr/src/release/Makefile.sysinstall) and will continue =
to be for the lifetime of the 9.x release series, although it will not =
be used by default. This change modifies the process of building =
releases somewhat, so I'll outline changes that people who run snapshot =
buildbots will have to make below, and some next steps planned with the =
installer.
>=20
> Changes to release(7)
> -----------------------------
>=20
> Release builds work and look slightly different now, so everyone who =
snapshot tinderboxes will likely find them breaking shortly. The nearest =
analog to the old make release (with version-control checkouts and a =
chroot) is src/release/generate-release.sh, which can be run as =
generate-release.sh head /path/to/chroot/dir. If you want to include =
ports and documentation on the release media, CVSUP_HOST must be defined =
in the environment to point to a cvsup mirror. The output is placed in =
/R in the chroot directory, as before.
>=20
> If the chroot is unimportant (it ensures a total clean-room build, but =
may not be necessary in most cases), you can get a release build using =
the regular makefile, like so:
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld buildkernel
> cd /usr/src/release
> make obj release
>=20
>=20
>=20

<snip>

Thanks!   For what it's worth, I built a new release using this new =
method and the only problem I ran into was getting dropped to the =
"mountroot>"  because the memstick's root partition failed to mount.   I =
am not sure if this has anything to do with your changes or not but I =
thought I would bring it up.   After mounting my usb stick with : =
ufs:/dev/da0a it booted into bsdinstall without issue.   I don't know if =
this was do to kern.cam.boot_delay not being long enough or if it was a =
problem with the creation of the memstick image.=20

During bsdinstall, there were a bunch of console debug messages spewing =
alongside the bsdinstall text but they cleared before I could take a =
picture.=20

Now we just need a ZFS template for the partition tool :-)

Thanks again!

Dan
--
Dan Mack