Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 14:27:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Kuri <jaykuri@oneway.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Volunteering to help with the Documentation project.

> I'm sorry that no one has gotten back to you by now - I was actually
> sort of expecting one of the members of our newly formed docs team to
> jump up and throw a bunch of stuff at you, but evidently the holidays
> and a new team have combined to get you dropped in between the
> cracks. :-(

   It's ok.  Things have been hectic with the holidays and work, which is
why it took me so long to reply to your note, I understand completely,
believe me. =)

> I think the first step for you would be to get ahold of the
> /usr/src/share/doc hierarchy, if you don't have it already, as well as
> the www collection so that you can look at what currently goes into
> making up http://www.freebsd.org and what is most clearly missing.
> A good way of syncing up with this stuff is to use cvsup
> (ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/CVSup) - it's fairly easy to set
> up, and one of us can help you if you get stuck.

    I got CVSup installed and configured (got the /usr/src/share hierarchy
this morning.)  I will take a look at it more thoroughly this afternoon.
I understand that the preferred format of the docs are SGML.  I am
familiar with LaTeX, as well as HTML, but not SGML. (which looks to me
like a cross between the two)  Can you reccommend any web sites/faqs/books
on SGML?

> Once you've done that, how about perhaps turning your existing ppp
> document into a tutorial?
    I will try to get a feel for the formatting of the tutorials, and will
work on this next week.

I just wanted to say thanks for getting back to me, and I look forward to
working with all of you.

And now, I'm off to do the holiday shopping that I've been putting off...

Have a good day,
Jay

---
Everyone can be taught to sculpt:  Michelangelo would have had to be
taught how not to.  So it is with the great programmers.