Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 07:27:55 -0500
From:      David Leimbach <leimbacd@bellsouth.net>
To:        Jacques Fourie <jf@trispen.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kde2.1 problems

On Monday 30 July 2001 03:19, Jacques Fourie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if the kdeinit problem related to using kde2.1 under
> XFree86 4.0.x has been resolved yet? Alternatively, does anyone have any
> technical details as to what the problem actually is? It would really be
> nice to run kde2.1 without all these kdeinit processes sucking up memory.
This is not a problem as far as I know.  These kdeinit processes is the
kde-developers "speed hack".  The virtual table support with either gcc or
the runtime linker [ld] is bad.  [I forget which one is so offensively slow].

 Anyway every KDE process is a forked copy of kdeinit which then immediately
exec's some other command.  I forget the argument for why this is faster but
it certainly seems true on my system.

If there is another problem with X 4.0.2 specifically and kdeinit processes
being large I don't know anything about it.

> Please cc me as I'm not -questions.

done