Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 1997 15:59:04 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is -O2 -m486 -pipe safe ?

At 11:41 AM 3/04/97 -0800, Doug White wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
>> a)I have read a few people have had problems with the 2.1.7 upgrade taking
>> serveral tries before working.  This is a production machine that I cant
>> have down for an "unknown" length of time with reboots and potentially tape
>> backup restores
>
>I've heard that from the people doing 'make world's.  :)  Never a prob
>with the standard upgrade procedure.

Actually, I have read of problems in the news groups... With it crashing at
random points during the install... (e.g. Message-Id:
<5ek98q$lsd$3@nntp2.ba.best.com>)

>> 3) did a make world in /usr/src
>
>I've heard 'make all install' but I've never done this.

It seems to have been mentioned a few times in the lists.... But I am not
sure of the difference.  However, the build order seems to be different,
doing the libs first and so on.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)		* To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,   		* To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario				* Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)		*