Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:59:32 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: shutdown not completing

In message <Pine.BSF.4.32.0106160123280.88179-100000@topperwein.dyndns.org> Chris BeHanna writes:
: > > Yes, but I want to go to single user mode to do make installworld.
: >
: > This is not necessary.
:
:     It's still in UPDATING.

And it is staying in UPDATING.

Single user is the only safe way to do it.  Often times you can get
away with not going to single user with the new kernel to do the
install.  I often do
	make buildworld
	make kernel
	make installworld
	reboot
when I'm moving a little at a time.  For large jumps, the single user
trip is required (I know, I've tried to skip it and gotten bit, which
is why I make sure I have a new kernel to boot as necessary).

Warner