Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 14:03:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_de.c ????

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> While I rarely agree with dennis, he's dead on with this one.  I bought
> 30-40 de cards for my 25 or so servers, now only to find it apparently a
> dead-end driver, and the Intel card being the card-de-jour (or however
> that's spelled).

  The driver is not "dead-end".  It just hasn't been updated for a while.
It just has problems with the new 10/100 cards.  In fact there are patches
floating about for all of this stuff, but no one has done the integration
work yet.  In fact, Peter has worked on the de driver, and the
ifconfig changes that are required, but has no de card to test on.
Volunteers?

> And so I'll start purchasing intel cards, and 8 months from now, the
> Novell NE2000 cards will be the hot card to have.
>
> I fell prey to this once with Adaptec cards and FreeBSD.  I'm at my
> patience limit with FreeBSD sometimes.

  The adaptec cards work great.  Some of the ahc driver revs have been
bad, but lately very good.  I've got a 2940 based moderately loaded server
with 189 days of uptime!

> It's like FreeBSD is always at this "80%" useful stage.  It always seems
> to be burning up 10 hours of time a week just kind of keeping the whole OS
> all together.  Every upgrade seems to break something that worked fine
> before.  Significant features don't seem to work when really stressed.

  I don't see this at all, but perhaps I deploy FreeBSD a bit differently.
I have a devel machine that cvsup things to, then do a build, make sure
things work ok, then NFS mount /usr/src and /usr/obj elsewhere to upgrade
all other systems.  I monitor the cvs commit lists to make sure I'm
getting bits at the right time.  I've been doing this with the 2.1-stable
tree for a long time, and have yet to be burnt.

  It seems that a lot of people moved applications over to 2.2.x systems,
that would have been better off with 2.1.7.1.  2.2.x is currently at the
stage where it works well for some applications and systems and poorly for
others.  2.1.7.1 may no longer be "cool" with all the 3.0 snaps floating
about, but it gets the job done.

> Jaye "Occasionally wants to throw the whole kit and kaboodle through the
> wall, but is generally pretty happy with things" Mathisen.

Tom