Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:29:22 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mr M P Searle <csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user-mode nfs daemon

> In this vein has anyone seen ZipMagic for Win95/NT?
>
> Makes all your compressed files look like directories.
>
> Its s00per nifty.
>
> On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Stephen McKay wrote:
> > Ah, yes, but the user mode one would be so much easier to change.  No need
> > for continuous build/reboot/login cycles.  Once you have a user mode NFS
> > server, you can tweak it to be a compressed file system, a crypto file system,
> > or even an ftp converter.  I think it would be cool to just do:
> >
> > $ cd /ftp/ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD
> > $ ls -l
> > $ more README
> >
> > I think a user mode NFS server could become a hotbed of interesting
> > development.  All sorts of border-line-insane file system ideas could
> > be explored with little danger to your kernel, and hence the rest of
> > your file systems.  What was that recent thread about a "tar" file system?
> > Could scotty be interfaced with an NFS server to produce a file system of
> > SNMP data?  Could the DNS be similarly mapped?  A special exploded CVS
> > view where every release tree and every file revision is available for
> > instant examination with ls, more, diff, wc, or whatever.
> >
> > All crazy, but kind of interesting.  Maybe some are even useful.
> >
> > Stephen.

I think last time this came up, the problem was that it would slow things
down - but there are lots of things (like html docs, large images, etc.)
that I'd want accessible, but I don't need often or quickly.
Also, it doesn't have to be slow. ArcFS on the Acorn claims to speed up the
HD. It does use an inefficient compression (like compress) and loads the
whole archive into memory first, but that's still fast on a 25MHz processor.
Maybe such a file system could use different compression methods depending
on how often you wanted the file - or even special ones for some file types
(eg images.)