Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 01:50:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Keith Woodman <keith@lightningweb.com>
To:        Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        chris@tci.com, mmercer@ipass.net, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, me@T-F-I.freeserve.co.uk, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confusion

Last post from me on the issue.
I started this thread in this list as a mistake. I followed up with saying
I was sorry and agreed this should be in -chat.
I think the fact that this thing is still alive after a couple days
suggests that maybe the team should consider the fact that with the
growing influence of Linux and other OS's. Maybe, just maybe a reminder is
needed to them that in the end, this is a consumer product and the people
at the head of it should think more in that way instead of thinking of it
as being a hackers only OS. If the consumers aren't considered in their
opinions but instead told the age old. "Read the .TXT, RTFM," etc etc.
The team will in time be developing a OS for themself and nobody else.
All the potential new comers will have been scared away with
RTFM, etc. Not to say that is a bad thing. I agree with RTFM. But I think
maybe some people involved have lost sight of the needs of the average
consumer of an OS. We're not hackers, admins, or networking gods. We don't
cvsup a few times a week or track different branches we simply want an
OS that is not forced upon us such as MS. I would hate to
think that FreeBSD has taken the 180 on MS and actualy scared folks away
by simply naming the RELEASE, STABLE, CURRENT, in a manor that is not
intuitive for most people. Then slaming them when they question the
reasoning or ask for a clear explaination of why it is like it is.
"It clearly says in the release notes for 3.0 that it's for developers".
That's the kind of thing that is obviously misguided, out of touch and
flat out narrow in focus in regards to marketing a product. I don't want
to sound like a sniffler but. Anyone off the street that want's to test
out FreeBSD and see's the name RELEASE on it should be confident that it's
not "For developers". When finding out differntly. They'll go to a system
that they can understand. Linux, MAC, MS etc. Keeping in mind that most
people aren't going to do ftp installs, cvsup a few times a week or even
get a new version on a regular basis.
	Unix type systems have branched out to the consumer market in a
way like never before. Linux developers have taken notice of the need for
a "marketable approach" to increasing the user base. I think FreeBSD
should stand up and take notes to this approach. And, make things a bit
more standard in the consumers point of view. 10 million some odd users of
linux and growing more and more daily. There is something to be said for
noticing the needs of more than just the developers, hackers, admins and
guru's of other sorts. Targeting those users is fine, just so long as you
don't care to expand the user base to a large degree beyond that.
Now, I say a second time. This is best left for
-chat   -newbies I would think..
If at any point I sound ticked off, snid, or otherwise rude. It is a wrong
impression on your part. I had no such intentions or thoughts while typing
this. And yes I do understand that this list is NOT about marketing. But
it becomes that when people are having utter confusion with the naming
of the current version they are running, and ask a simple question like
my original post. Sorry so long winded. Crak it up to being a
FreeBSD newbie/lamer.
Good day.
Keith