Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:33:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net (Robert Storey)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bypassing a proxy server

> As some of you may recall, I'm engaged in an ongoing saga trying to set
> up a FreeBSD machine on a school's network. The school is Windows only -
> the administration knows nothing about FreeBSD (or Linux), and it's up
> to me to prove to them that FBSD is worth teaching to the students. Due
> to my lobbying, the school has given me one old computer to play with,
> and I have installed FreeBSD on it. But there are problems. The biggest
> is that the gateway machine is Windows 2000 and it's running a proxy
> server (to keep the students from visiting naughty web sites). So the
> FreeBSD machine cannot get through to the Internet with http, though the
> Windows machines can. On the other hand, the FBSD box can get through
> the gateway with ssh and ftp (though performance is sluggish, even with
> a T1 line). Furthermore, I want the FreeBSD machine to run an anonymous
> ftp server. Forgive the crappy drawing (I never claimed to be an
> artist), but this is how the network looks at the moment (except that
> there are 10 Windows clients, not 2):

Someone else will hopefully respond about the ftp stuff -
but, there should be no problem getting the http stuff to work
through the proxy server.    You just have to change your browser
to use whatever port the proxy server requires and make sure the
manager of the proxy sets the proxy server to allow your machine
to talk to it the same as they allow the windows clients (browsers)
and it should work.  Of course, you will be blocked from the same
porno sites as everyone else.  I haven't taken any survey of all
browser clients, but any that I have used allow the port to be
set.  They have things explicitly allowing you to configure them
to run through a proxy.

As for ftp, does the proxy server proxy ftp as well as http?
Ours do not so I haven't had to look at that.  There is also
stuff in the list archive and maybe even FAQs about getting ftp
through NATs and firewalls that may apply.  Look for Passive FTP
and such things.

////jerry