Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 06:50:46 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com>
Cc:        "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>, "freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with VLAN and natd.

Alex Pilosov wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, C. Stephen Gunn wrote:
>
> > For example, you would no longer simply ``ifconfig xl'', but
> > associate a netgraph link-layer node on top of the xl interface,
> > and a netgraph interface node on top of the link-layer node, which
> > would function (mostly) like xl does now.

> Interesting. Possibly that would make freebsd move away from
> hardware-specific interface names (such as xl0, rl0 ) and make them eth0,
> eth1, with a generic eth link-layer code to take care of things like ARP
> and bridging? Would that make sense?

not from a POLA (Principle of Least Amazement) point of view,
but we could tap into the driver to get only VLAN packets,
as Netgraph allows collecting of only 'unrecognised' packets
from the driver.

> Essentially, what an ethernet driver will do is just capturing and sending
> packets. Then, netgraph "ethllcmac" node attached to it would perform all
> VLAN tagging/decapsulation and expose a [set of] eth interfaces back to
> the kernel?

exactly

> I'm thinking of something like this:
> ngctl mkpeer xl0: ethmacllc raw raw

ngctl mkpeer xl0: ethermacllc orphans downstream
ngctl name xl0:orphans vlan0

might be more usual.

'orphans' only delivers unrecognised packets (this would include VLAN packets I
think.

> ngctl mkpeer xl0:raw:untagged iface

un-needed

> ifconfig ng0 ....
> ngctl mkpeer xl0:raw:vlan3 iface
> ifconfig ng1
>
> (the first might have to be set up to be executed on-interface-load)
>
> I'm still a bit inebriated...Let me know if I'm completely off-base)
>
> > Netgraph is an excellent technology.  While your comment makes
> > sense, there are several issues that will need to be addressed.
> > For instance, the current ARP implementation in FreeBSD is
> > entangled with the generic ethernet code.
>
> > I'm afraid to even contemplate the POLA and backward compatability
> > issues involved.
> I'm afraid to ask, what's POLA? :)

See above

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000
---> X_.---._/  from Perth, presently in:  Budapest