Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 00:34:29 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure deletion

Dan Langille wrote:

> On 20 May 99, at 16:42, Darren Reed wrote:
>
> > I'd worry about this sort of thing when and if FreeBSD is ever used for
> > storing of (officially) classified/confidential material and even then,
> > the solution is likely to be to take a hammer or drill to the disks.
>
> I know of at least one government department which drills through the
> platters when disposing of a disk drive.

None of the above would have met those specifications, just in case
you're wondering.  All platters had to be destroyed in an 800 degree
F oven for at least an hour, or ground into small particles.  ;^)
But then again, we were storing relatively important information on
those disks.

For relatively mundane security needs, overwriting with one pass of
0xa3 (10100101) followed by one pass of 0x3a (01011010) would certainly
suffice.