Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2019 18:01:18 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Joel Dahl <joel@vnode.se>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reminder: FCP-101: pending removal of some 10/100 Ethernet drivers

--bjuZg6miEcdLYP6q

On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 04:00:50AM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 11:43:44PM +0000, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > > We are currently planning to remove the following less-popular 10/100
> > > Ethernet drivers in the March/April timeframe:
> > >=20
> > > ae, bm, cs, de, dme, ed, ep, ex, fe, pcn, sf, sn, tl, tx, txp, vx, wb=
, xe
> > >=20
> > > All of these drivers generate warnings in FreeBSD 12 and to the best =
of
> > > my knowledge, none have cleared the bar specified in the FCP[0]:
> > >=20
> > > https://github.com/freebsd/fcp/blob/master/fcp-0101.md
> >=20
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > The above document states that the support lifetime for FreeBSD 12 is 2=
023.
> >=20
> > The expected EOL (but not decided) for 12 is June 30, 2020 however, acc=
ording to
>=20
> Can someone please go revise where ever this is posted based on the 18 mo=
nth
> minima that was set to simply state "undetermined", people are reading to=
o much
> into the date posted there.
>=20
> > https://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup
> >=20
> > So, hardware in some of my machines will only be supported until someti=
me next
> > year.
>=20
> Brooks,
> 	Given that at the time FCP-101 was written part of it was
> based on the assumption of a 5 year life time for 12.0.  Since that
> assumption is now invalid, and worse, unknown, I would ask that until
> a decision about the life of 12.0 is made we back off on the FCP-101 proc=
ess
> and not do anything about removing drivers until that support
> model adjustment is finalized and we can evaluate the impact on
> FCP-101's assumption.

Per the text of my email and the schedule in the FCP, no deletions
will occur until after the support lifetime of 12 is scheduled to be
resolved.  Should that date slip then any deletions would also slip.
Should the lifetime of 12 be drastically reduced relative to the
original lifetime, then yes we should revisit our list and schedule.

A majority of these devices have *zero* confirmed users so we should
likely delete them before 13 no matter what happens to 12-STABLE's
lifetime.

No further action beyond data collection is scheduled on this FCP until
after the end of the quarter.

-- Brooks

P.S. All of this hardware will be supported until at least September 30,
2021 on FreeBSD 11-STABLE.

--bjuZg6miEcdLYP6q

--bjuZg6miEcdLYP6q--