Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:04:15 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mpd-netgraph problem.

Hi Archie,

On 2002.02.07 10:40 Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Andrew Reilly writes:
> > I've another, probably unrelated problem that has surfaced with
> > mpd-netgraph in the last couple of months.  The work-around is
> > simple, which is why it's taken me so long to get around to
> > raising the issue.
> >
> > I start mpd-netgraph at boot time, to create a VPN link to my
> > office, with a script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mpd.  That used to
> > work fine, and I haven't changed my mpd configuration at all in
> > the mean time.
> >
> > For the last couple of months, though, this has resulted in no
> > ng0 node, and a log that looks like:
> >
> > Feb  5 21:41:46 gurney mpd: mpd: pid 240, version 3.6 (root@gurney.reilly.home 18:28 19-Jan-2002)
> > Feb  5 21:41:46 gurney mpd: [vpn] can't create socket node: Exec format error
>
> This error is probably coming from the KLD module code.

I'd say so.

> Try making sure the ng_socket(4) KLD is loaded before starting mpd,
> or just compiling all your netgraph modules statically into your
> kernel.. ?

I've just done that: copied all of the option NETGRAPH_* lines
from LINT into GURNEY, my kernel config file. There's probably
stuff in the kernel that I don't need now (ng_frame_relay, for
starters!), but (a) it didn't whinge, and (b) the MS-PPTP VPN link
came straight up at re-boot.

> As an experiment, you could try replacing the invocation of mpd
> in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mpd to something like 'ngctl ls' and see
> if ngctl sees the same error.

It did indeed.

There has also been another couple of console messages at boot
that might bear on the problem:

Feb  7 15:20:16 gurney /kernel: module_register: module netgraph already exists!
Feb  7 15:20:16 gurney /kernel: linker_file_sysinit "netgraph.ko" failed to register! 17

As you can see, these still happen, but now (probably because all
of the modules are compiled in) it isn't causing a problem.

This always happened, before the recent kernel config change,
because I have always had "options NETGRAPH" (alone) in my kernel
config. Well, I have since I started using mpd-netgraph.

Presumably this is simple pilot-error: I should either have put
all of the netgraph options into my kernel or none. But perhaps
this indicates an error with one kldload being taken too strongly,
and short-circuiting the loading of subsequent modules?

--
Andrew