Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 06:38:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        jmb@kryten.atinc.com (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, gary@wcs.uq.oz.au, hsu@freefall.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

> Gary,
> 	great idea!  we can add a couple of commands to majordomo and let
> it rip.

Hey, this is getting interesting :-)

> command			action
> 			hackers and others gets routed to you!
> 			what about questions (or is this just crazy?)
> disown	iamlost@where.am.i	he has learned enough not to ask the
> 			3c509 -link2 flag question.  let him have direct
> 			access to the lists again.
> subscribe newusers	help me please, i just got my cdrom and i cant
> 			get my 3c509 to work
> unsubscribe newusers	hey man--back off, i know this thing, give me some
> 			elbow room here.

If we pick up some of Jordan's ideas about queing the newuser requests
so that they don't get dropped then this would be quite a neat support
setup -- assuming of course we get enough mentors to make it functional.

Rather than using questions or hackers use the newuser list. So, newuser
subscribes to newuser list because he needs help. One of the mentors adopts
him and then all further mail the newbie sends to newusers gets redirected
to his mentor. When newbie feels consident enough he unsubscribes from
newuser and if mentor feels it's time to break away he can disown. If a
newuser is disowned they should probably go back on the queue so another
mentor can pick them up.

I don't think it needs to affect our current lists at all, this would be
a separate service.

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/