Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:02:44 -0800
From:      Dave <friend@vortex4.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   -march=pca56 blows up nethack34

Hey all,

I'm not sure if there's a more appropriate forum to report this problem,
and any relevent feedback on that front would be appropriate.

I recently installed 5.0-RELEASE on a PC164SX Alpha system, dutifully
set my CPUTYPE to pca56 in /etc/make.conf, built & installed world
without problems, and started adding important ports to the system,
most notably nethack34-nox11.

I found after building it (with no reported problems), that it wouldn't
run--  after the class/race/alignment selection (or lackthereof if you
let it select for you), the game would bomb out with "illegal instruction".

I solved the problem by pkg_delete'ing the port, commenting out the
CPUTYPE var from /etc/make.conf, and rebuilding it.  Now it works with
no problems.

So I'm wondering a couple of things.  First, has anyone seen anything
like this before with other ports on 5.x for alpha?  Is it "safe" to
specify my CPUTYPE?

Second, who would benefit the most from this bug report?  The alpha
list?  the current list?  the port maintainer?

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Dave Cotton