Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:22:55 +0100
From:      "Oliver Blasnik" <oliver.blasnik@nextra.de>
To:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Again: Promise IDE RAID / Fasttrack100

Hi Mike,

"Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

[/me about the FastTrack-Raid-Problems]

> > Hopefully anyone is going to implement that new drivers into FreeBSD
> > or fix that problem.

> No idea.  Soren has made some noises about improving this, but I haven't
> heard anything solid.

Hum. I'll possibly hack something in (like: if drive is in a mirror and
fails,
then mark it as failed in config-data and disable it). It's not more than
needed. Some Tools for remirroring are real simple.

> Personally (biassed opinion here), if you want ATA RAID, get a "real"
> RAID controller from 3ware.

If there is the possibility to boot up from a (software-)raid and USE it
with no additional cost, I do prefer this. The implementation is not a
big thing, most of the work is done already. So, why not _finish_ the work?

IF I _really_ need a Raid, I use external Arrays (CMD, Infortrend f.ex.).
But having such a benefit (mirrored ide, bootable) without high costs in
a 1U system is worth using it for higher availability - if the drivers do
support it. Thats _my_ personal opinion ;-)

Thanks btw, Oliver
--
-- http://www.nextra.de - INTERNET@WORK ----- oliver.blasnik@nextra.de --
 Nextra Deutschland     | Oliver Blasnik      Senior System Administrator