Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 17:27:29 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Setting the CMOS clock... How?

Greetings again folks.  I hope that I haven't used up my quota of questions
yet.

This time I _do_ have one that I would have thought would have been an
FAQ... for the questions list anyway... so I did a search in the online
archives of the questions list, but I still came up empty.

On Linux, there is a program called /sbin/clock which can be used to
set the standard x86 system ``CMOS time-of-day clock'' from the kernel's
current time-of-day value or vise versa.

Try as I might, I can't seem to find the thing that (under FreeBSD)
performs the same function.  Is there such a thing?  If so, where do
I find it?

P.S.  In all truth, I'm not even 100% sure what the Linux manpage for
/sbin/clock is referring to when it says ``CMOS clock''.  Is that what
the FreeBSD 2.2.2 clocks(7) manpage calls the ``mc14618a clock''?  Or
is it the thing that the FreeBSD manpage calls the ``i8254 clock''?
(Sorry.  I'm just not enough of a hardware geek to know.)

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) demo: http://monkeys.com/cgi-bin/wpoison