Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:25:55 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        "Brian Henning" <b1henning@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports upgrade w/out internet connection

On Monday 22 September 2003 08:44 am, Brian Henning wrote:
> Greetings:
> Can i perform a ports upgrade to a computer that has no internet
> connection by ftping the file /pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/ports.tar.gz
> and replacing the /usr/ports/ directory
> with the uncompressed version of this file? please let me know your
> opinion to solve my problem.

It is only the beginning. You also have to download the distfiles for
each of the ports that you want to update. You could also download the
packages and bypass building the ports.

I don't think the packages will be as uptodate as the port structure
that you would download. They require hours to build. Where as, the
port structure can be tarballed fairly quickly every day.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA