Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:57:57 +0000
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
To:        Andrew Lankford <arlankfo@141.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's the status of devfs(8)?

Andrew Lankford <arlankfo@141.com> wrote:

> When I try commands like:
>
> #devfs rule add path speaker mode 666

Did you set a ruleset before this?

	devfs ruleset 10

> devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RADD: Input/output error

This is telling you that you're trying to modify ruleset 0.  From the
man page:

     Ruleset number 0 is the default ruleset for all new mount-points.  It is
     always empty, cannot be modified or deleted, and does not show up in the
     output of showsets.

> but /dev/devctl is in my /dev (devfs) partition.

Actually, /dev/devctl is related to devd(8), not devfs(8).