Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:10:40 -0800
From:      Peter Fogg <pf20360@email.csun.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I've confused FreeBSD!

I installed FreeBSD 2.2.6 by itself on a hard disk which was the only
drive on my
Intel-based computer. FreeBSD ran perfectly in this configuration.

Since I needed to do some development work in the Microsoft environment,
I purchased
a new hard disk.

The new hard disk was installed as the primary drive and the drive
containing FreeBSD
was moved to secondary status.

The Win 95 and the development tools were installed on the new drive.

BootEasy was installed on the primary drive to allow booting Win 95 or
FreeBSD.

When the computer is started and the second drive is selected, the one
containing FreeBSD,
FreeBSD does the usual hardware probe OK. However, at the end of the
hardware prove it
changes to "wd1a" and, of course, can't find something to boot.

When I start the computer from the second drive and at the "boot:"
prompt enter
"1:wd(2,a)kernel", FreeBSD does the usual hardware probe and then
displays the
following:

      Changing root devise to wd2a
      Swapon: /dev/wd0s1b: Invalid argument
      Auto reboot in progress . . .
      Can’t open /dev/rwd0a: Invalid argument
      /dev/rwd0a: CAN’T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
      /dev/rwd0a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fdisk MANUALLY
      Automatic file system check failed . . . Help!
      Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

Obviously, I have confused FreeBSD by moving the drive to a different
status. Can
I correct my error by editing some files or must I reinstall FreeBSD
every time I move a
drive containing the OS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter -