Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:30:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>
To:        Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backporting libc_r changes

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Nick Johnson wrote:

> Any estimates on how difficult this would be?  I wouldn't mind biting it
> off if it would help us get a hotspot working under -stable and if it's
> within my capability...

It's not _that_ difficult for someone who understands the
code and the differences.  I wish I had time but I'm working
on the KSE stuff.  If I did have the time, I'd try to change
-current so that it would work in -stable with just a couple
of #ifdefs.

Notable differences between -current and -stable:

  o system calls are _thread_sys_* in -stable and
    __sys_* in -current.  The threads library could
    always use __SYS_* or something and conditionally
    define these to be the right thing depending on
    whether it was -stable or -current.

  o -current doesn't include libc, so there may be
    some differences due to that (cancellation
    points and weak definitions might have to be
    changed/removed for -stable).

--
Dan Eischen