Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:03:28 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        david@SkytrackerCanada.com
Cc:        bsd <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fetchmail problem with a POP3 account

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 11:32:53AM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> "Crist J . Clark" wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 08:59:27PM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> > > my popclient and fetchmail programs work fine, but not with this one
> > > mail server.
> > >
> > > problem is I CAN collect mail off their server, if use netscape mail
> > > to collect. Here is what I use for collectiing my mail
> > > (which works fine for 4 other POP3 accounts I have)
> > >
> > > fetchmail -v -v -p POP3 getmail.banning.com -u david
> > >
> > > Enter password for david@getmail.banning.com:
> > > fetchmail: 5.4.3 querying getmail.banning.com (protocol POP3) at Sun, 20
> > > Aug 2000 20:49:43 -0400 (EDT)
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
> >
> > It looks like you don't have a MTA listening on your local
> > machine.
> How do I check for that?

  $ telnet localhost 25

And see if your local MTA responds. Most of the time, it's going to be
sendmail. Are you running sendmail or another MTA? If not, look at the
'--mda' option on the fetchmail(1) manpage or run sendmail (or your
prefered MTA). For systems where I'd rather not run sendmail, I
personally use the --mda option to send mail straight through
procmail(1).

> >But you say other mailservers work OK?
>
> They work fine - all originally using poplient - but since I couldn't
> load
> from this one server, I tried fetchmail - which also has a problem only
> with
> with this one mail server.

If no listening MTA is the problem, fetchmail should have this same
problem with any mail server that it actually tried to get mail from.
(That is, if you used fetchmail and it did not have any mail to
download, you would not see this error. You'd only see this when
fetchmail actually finds messages to download at the server.)
--
Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.com