Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:33:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        darrylo@sr.hp.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Developer assessment (was Re: A bike shed ...)

In article <199910051542.IAA16737@mina.sr.hp.com>,
Darryl Okahata  <darrylo@sr.hp.com> wrote:

>      There's the problem.  While I agree with you about persistent,
> annoying, and utterly clueless newbies, I don't agree with the apparent
> sentiment (with which you may or may not agree) where all newbies (and
> not just in -hackers) should be flamed and roasted.  I've seen perfectly
> innocent questions (asked once), from non-persistent/non-annoying
> newbies, get flamed in -questions.

Darryl is right, folks.  Please either be nice or keep quiet.  I swear
I've seen more unjustified crabby answers in our mailing lists during
the past month than at any other time during my involvement with the
project.  A few of you -- and you know who you are -- seem to make
a point of writing something utterly rude every day.  If you are so
stressed out that you can't help it, then please just take a break
from the lists entirely for a couple of weeks.  You're not doing a
thing to help our reputation.

Remember, the _individual_ you are replying to is not personally
responsible for the sum total of annoyances you have endured lately.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron