Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 08:56:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        cshenton@uucom.com (Chris Shenton)
Cc:        dave@comsite.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mpd + EQL, Livingston PM2 MLLB, alternatives? mpd load high?

Chris Shenton writes:
> If mpd works with Livingston PM2 POTS, I'll probably bail on the old
> FreeBSD box I installed there to use as my endpoint for mpd -- might
> save me some complexity and trouble. But I know the PM2 will only do
> MLLB, not MLPPP over POTS...

I agree with Dave.. real MPP is preferred, but if you can't have
that then try the patch.

> The mpd-1.0b5 code's dated from about Dec'97. Would you still
> recommend it or is user-land PPP up to snuff for multi-link/line?

Brian's user-land ppp now supports MPP as you know, and he is
more active in maintaining it, if you plan to have a lot of
questions & problems :-)

> Archie: I notice mpd with one line is consuming 10-15% of my 486-66
> CPU when doing stuff like CVSUP or FTP downloads. Is this normal?  Due
> to the link compression?  Will it increase as I add lines?  The 486 is
> pretty much dedicated to being a dialup/router so this isn't a big
> concern but it does indicate scalability problems if I try to
> increase lines (or use even older hardware :-)

That's probably more or less normal.. the negative side of
doing it all in user-land.

> If you're mpd'ing into a FreeBSD box, how are you getting it to
> advertise the routes? When I use pppd, I have gated advertising the
> route to my /28 home net, but when I use mpd, it does not. I must have
> something mal-configured cuz when I mpd (single-line) into the PM2, it
> advertises the route no problem. A sample gated.conf would be very
> helpful if you've got one.

I do everything with static routes in general.. eg,

  set iface route default

to install/deinstall a default route every time the link is
brought up/down. mpd automatically handles dynamic IP, etc.
I think gated should pick up mpd's static route changes.. though
you may need to configure gated to better "respect" static routes..?

-Archie