Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:38:28 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "GDB" <g-d-b@freegates.be>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade FreeBSD 3.2 to 4.X?

I think the best way is to upgrade by source.  Everything you need is
explained in the handbook.  Read these entire chapters:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html

you can use the tag  *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_2_0_RELEASE
if you want to upgrade to 4.2-release which is the newest one.  You may
want to go with that over stable until you're used to the process.
Follow the same directions as in chapter 19.

	There may be a few caveats upgrading from 3.2 as I've heard others
have some issues with that, but I've not had them myself so other
people would have to comment on that.

						Tim