Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:49:04 -0500
From:      Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com>
To:        robert@webtent.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nss_ldap on FreeBSD 5.3

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I find several docs on setting this up, but none pertaining to linux
> compat. Can anyone point me to some instructions for setting this up
> properly?
>
> --
> Robert

Um... actually VERY easy...

Step 1:   install nss_ldap & pam_ldap
2:        edit /usr/local/etc/nss_ldap.conf
	  edit /usr/local/etc/ldap.conf
	  edit /usr/local/etc/ldap.secret
3:	  edit /etc/nssswitch.conf, change from 'files' to 'files ldap' for 'group',
and 'passwd' (optionally) 'hosts' too.
4:	  do a quick 'ldapsearch -x' to make sure you are connecting/searching the
correct ldap tree...
5:	  edit /etc/pam.d/<service> file(s) for which types of accounts you want to
authenticate. ie: system, login, ftp, ssh, other, etc... should have to add a
line like:

auth            sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so      try_first_pass

That should be it. Assuming your librairies are up to date, you have a valid
db/tree in ldap you can connect and search... then you should be able to login
right away.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican@wmptl.com