Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 1996 03:06:21 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Rich Siggs <rich@goliath.spirit.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: exportable DES library & "DES How To" for 2.1-STABLE

> Indeed - but it was mentioned earlier that 1.1 _didn't_ use DES (that's
> new on me, as I was assuming 1.1 did use a DES algorithm). In that case, thou
gh
> 1.1 didn't use MD5, but also (supposedly) didn't use DES, then I really am ho

It didn't use DES if you didn't load the des distribution.  Since
you're in OZ, I guess I can assume that you didn't grab one of the
foreign DES distributions?  The default password "encryption" with 1.x
was a simple scrambler and about as difficult to break as a Captain
Midnight decoder ring, fresh from a box of cereal.

That might actually work to your advantage, however.  Nate - what was
the algorithm you used?  I don't have any 1.x sources around to check.
It may well be that you can write a perl script to descramble the
puppies and then re-DES or MD5 encrypt them.

					Jordan