Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:59:32 -0700
From:      "Kevin Downey" <redchin@gmail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switch to using rc.d for local packages is premature for RELENG_6

On 3/21/06, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org> wrote:
> I have just realized that maybe the best approach to address this
> problem would be not reverting the change in question, but making
> find_local_scripts_new() more strict, so that only those local rc.d
> scripts that have been explicitly marked by maintainer as fully
> rc.d-safe are handled in a new way. Checking for '^# PROVIDE:' doesn't
> really work reliably.
>
> -Maxim
>
> Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > As part of testing how well some of our products work with latest
> > RELENG_6, I have make a new build and found that lot of important
> > services (for example PostgreSQL, Apache) doesn't start up (despite
> > having respective xxx_enable entries in /etc/rc.conf) when installed
> > from the freshly updated ports tree onto a clean, freshly updated
> > RELENG_6 system. This is very bad, considering how close to release are
> > we and how much FreeBSD users rely on those services to work OOB.
> >
> > I would expect them to be really pissed off when lot of important
> > services just don't work after upgrading their server from 6.0 to 6.1 or
> > after installing it from install cd. This is apparently caused by the
> > fact that lot of rc.d scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d are newstyle one
> > now (sufficiently newstyle to pass find_local_scripts_new check), but
> > few of them were actually tested to work correctly in fully rc.d
> > environment.
> >
> > Therefore, I think that the RELENG_6 should be reverted to using old
> > stuff and it should be left for 7.x tree.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Maxim

Which apache port? I have been using www/apache20 for sometime now on
a machine tracking RELENG_6_2. I use 'apache2_enable="YES"' in
/etc/rc.conf and it starts and runs fine. Perhaps I am
misunderstanding your complaint.

--
The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred.