Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 19:18:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Jeroen C.van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@FreeBSD.ORG>, Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>, Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, FreeBSD current users <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: Patch for critical_enter()/critical_exit() & interrupt assem

:Search for "paper John Baldwin" and find link 6:
:
:http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=199282+204026+/usr/local/www/db/
:text/2002/freebsd-arch/20020303.freebsd-arch
:
:The actual paper is at:
:  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/smpng/design/article.{ps,pdf}
:
:-J
:--
:Jeroen C. van Gelderen - jeroen@vangelderen.org

    Ok... I've read it.  The sections on interrupts and critical sections
    are fully compatible with my patch.  The one section... basically
    the last sentence of the last paragraph, is exactly the piece that
    my patch cleans up and makes more flexible.  Instead of requiring that
    cpu_critical_*() always be used for the initial critical_enter() my
    patch makes it optional, and for I386 I use that flexibility to allow
    critical_*() to NOT have to call cpu_critical_*().

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>