Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 00:07:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did the chicken cross the road?

My hidden microphone recorded Jason C. Wells (jcwells@u.washington.edu)
saying:

% On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
%
% >Jason C. Wells wrote:
% >	OSPF Chicken: the chicken that tells the others which road to cross.
% >	BGP-4 Chicken: the chicken that tells the others which highway.
% >	RIP Chicken: the chicken that cant cross 15 roads.
% >	ICMP Chicken: the chicken that tells the others why they cant cross.
%
% Would I betray my knowledge if I told you all that I did not know three of
% these and had the wrong idea about the fourth?
%
% These disc access acronyms really confuse me. :P

OK, for your elucidation, here are definitions for these acronyms:

OSPF: Open Slowest Path First.  This is how we network engineers guarantee
      we get the bandwidth - we force the routing software to make YOUR
      connections run slow.

BGP4: Bill Gates Protocol, version 4.  This protocol allows 95% of your
      packets through, crashes on the other 5%.  Rumor has it an upgrade
      is available for $129.95 that lets 98% of your packets through.

RIP:  What happens to your pants when you catch them on a BNC connector.
      RJ-45s don't have this problem, that's why we wanted all of you
      to upgrade.

ICMP: What happens when you hack into a military network and they catch you.