Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:43:36 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        cracauer@cons.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, tich@ma.ikos.com, tich@par28.ma.ikos.com
Subject:   Re: gdb-4.17 in FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT

In <199908251538.LAA04490@pcnet1.pcnet.com>, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > Did anyone of you took care that you can build an aout gdb on an ELF
> > FreeBSD system?
> >
> > I don't mean a gdb that is aout, but one that can debug aout binaries.
>
> I thought the gdb in our base system could debug aout binaries.  Or
> am I sadly mistaken.

You can compile it so that the gdb binary is aout
(`cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils && make OBJFORMAT=aout), but that's
still a debugger that debugs ELF binaries.

It can't handle aout binaries unless you explicitly configure it to do
so and this ability seems to be broken by the FreeBSD-specific
changes.

> > That would be most useful to have as a port. Just step to
> > `/usr/ports/devel/aout-gdb && make install` and it uses
> > /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb or fetches some other source by itself if it
> > can't use native sources. The modula-3 port does something in that
> > line, uses /usr/src if it can.
>
> I haven't tested the port on aout.  The main reason I did the port
> was to make an Ada-aware version of gdb.  The GNAT maintainers
> release patches to a specific version of gdb (in this case gdb-4.17),
> so basing a port of gdb on what's in our base system was a bad
> idea.  The gdb port I mentioned wasn't the Ada-aware gdb port, it
> was just a step to get there.

Well, on second thinking the idea to build from /usr/src might not
save much.

You need the binutils libraries and friends as aout, so it might be
easier to start from a source that carries everything you need with
it and link it statically.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/