Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 10:41:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is this (SCSI) tape drive compatible with FreeBSD?

On Sat, Sep 06, 1997 at 10:20:21AM +0200, J Wunsch wrote:
> As Richard Foulk wrote:
>
>> I suppose you could say that QIC was more robust back when they were
>> more widely used and less data was being archived.  In today's world
>> they're not all that robust when compared to the alternatives.
>
> QIC still *is* more robust than any helical-scan technology.  DAT
> being worst, the drives usually don't last longer than 1.5 years when
> being used on a daily basis (and this was with the older, better
> quality HP drives, the toys that are built these days often don't
> survive a couple of months).

While I won't question the undeniable unreliability of early HP DDS
drives, I can't confirm that they're getting worse.  My 37480As all
died within about 6 months with only moderate use, and to my extreme
disgust my last one, repaired last December at the cost of $200, and
only used once since then, has also died again.  On the other hand,
the Archive DDS-2 autoloader I bought at the same time, and which I
use several hours every day, has given me no trouble at all.  Neither
did my HP C1533A DDS-2 until it got mechanically damaged travelling
half way round the world.

Greg