Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2007 07:48:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Luke Dean <LukeD@pobox.com>
To:        Martin Tournoij <carpetsmoker@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        neal@nelson.name, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wxPython 2.8?

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Martin Tournoij wrote:

> On Sun 09 Sep 2007 21:09, Luke Dean wrote:

>>> wxgtk 2.8 is in the ports collection(x11/toolkits/wxgtk28), you're
>>> probably using an outdated snapshot of the ports collection.
>>> See the FreeBSD handbook on how to update your ports collection:
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html
>>
>> I guess I don't understand the relationship between wxPython and wxgtk.
>> wxPython 2.6 builds with wxgtk 2.6 by default.  If it works with wxgtk
>> 2.8, maybe that's what I need.  I'll give it a shot.  Thanks.
>
> Ignore my previous post, it was late and I thought you couldn't find
> wxgtk2.8, I kind of missed the wxPython part ... :/
> My fault, I'm sorry.
>
> I've cc-ed this email to the maintainer of py-wxPython26, I will look into
> creating a port for py-wxPython28 later today.
>
> Regards,
> Martin Tournoij

Thank you!
After I read a bit more about what wxPython really is, I realized that
wxPython and wxgtk should be at the same version.  In the spirit of open
source, I attempted this myself.

I installed wxgtk 2.8 from ports, then fetched the wxPython 2.8 source and
attempted to port it following the example of the wxPython 2.6 makefile,
but I got compillation errors early in the process in some gtk code.  This
made me think that perhaps the wxPython source I fetched might not be
compatible with the wxgtk source I got from the ports system.  I believe
these versions are under development, so I suppose they change frequently
and it may be difficult to get them to match up.  Or maybe I really don't
know what I'm doing.  I've never attempted to port anything as complex as
a toolkit before.