Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 11:38:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with second start of XFree86 3.3

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Randall Hopper wrote:

>     Barry, it appears you're having mail delivery problems.  .forward
> filter might need touched.

> From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@panix.com>
> Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (warning-timeout)

Service provider suffered a disk crash. Couldn't get the mail.
Sorry for any bounced messages.

> |> The first time i launch "startx", everything is fine. XFree has no
> |> problem at all.  But, if i quit and restart "startx", i get a black
> |> screen and all i can do is to reboot the computer with the reset button!!
> |
> |I, any many others had the same problem. Seems most just switched
> |to the XF86_S3V server. I'm successfully using a patched version
> |of 3.3 on a 9FX Reality ViRGE/VX with the XF86_S3V server.
>
> I'd be very interested in getting a copy of this patch!  Can you mail it to
> me?  Or if you were asked not to distribute, can you give me a contact at
> XFree86 to ask?

I should clarify; the patches were pre 3.3.1, which should now be
present in 3.3.1; the 'arc' & 'server' patches.  Also, for all of
the patches, and "Option" lines I added to my XF86Config file,
I still could not get the SVGA server to work properly.

At best, I could get a 3rd, even a 4th restart. But in the end it
still failed with a frozen system.  I eventually decided to just
use the S3V server.

The 'arc' drawing problem only showed up on the S3V server, not the
SVGA server.

Those who responded to my earlier August newsgroup post on this
problem, half said they had no problem with the SVGA server,
while clearly just as many did experience a 'no second restart'.
It would seem to be a combination of operating systems and
hardware involved here.

However, in an effort to track down a problem I was having with
ImageMagick's "convert" and the processing of large PCD (photo_cd)
images in FreeBSD-2.2.2, I did a fresh install of 2.2.1 on this
ASUS P55T2P4 based system.

While I was in 2.2.1, I also did a fresh build of XFree-3.3, without
the patches. To my surprise, the 'no second restart' problem was
not present, atleast not as bad as it was in 2.2.2.

The SVGA server did eventually fail under 2.2.1, but I came away
with the conclusion that their are differences between 2.2.1 and
2.2.2. Differences that were most apparent in ImageMagick's
'convert' program.

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com

  FreeBSD   2.2.2-R