Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2016 08:03:35 +0100
From:      Ben RUBSON <ben.rubson@gmail.com>
To:        fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Force ZFS to always look for devices in a defined location

Hello,

My zpools are made of devices from /dev/label.
Example :

NAME               STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
my-zpool           ONLINE       0     0     0
  mirror-0         ONLINE       0     0     0
    label/slotone  ONLINE       0     0     0
    label/slottwo  ONLINE       0     0     0
(...)

For some reasons, it may happen that access to some devices fails and =
devices (quickly) toggle between ONLINE and UNAVAIL/REMOVED state.
Then, sometimes, ZFS re-use the device using the /dev/da path, instead =
of waiting for the /dev/label path to be rediscovered by the system.

It then leads to something like this, with is not nice, and not really =
correct (as last sector of /dev/da contains the label) :

NAME               STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
my-zpool           ONLINE       0     0     0
  mirror-0         ONLINE       0     0     0
    label/slotone  ONLINE       0     0     0
    da14           ONLINE       0     0     0
(...)

My question is then, how to force ZFS to look for devices in a defined =
location ?
(/dev/label/ in this example)

I tried to offline / online impacted devices (da*), but it does not =
work, they do not come back with their /dev/label path.
Zpool export / import works, but of course this is something we would =
like to avoid.

Many thanks !

Ben