Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 08:10:30 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        romerc@palmcoastd.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RUNNING FREEBSD

    Chris> Ok, I admit to being a UNIX virgin. However, I can't find
    Chris> any information on the initial Login for FreeBSD. I don't
    Chris> remember setting up a user during installation
    Chris> either. Please help....

A default installation will have the required administrative user:
root.

Log in with a user name of `root' and no password.  The first thing
you should do is set a password for the `root' account by running the
`passwd' command.

Then, set up an account for yourself and any other users by running
the `adduser' command.  Just answer the prompts.

Finally, log out.  Then log back in with your personal account.  From
now on, if you need administrative privilege, just use your personal
account, and then run the `su' command.  This command will prompt you
for a password---give it the password that you set for the root
account.  You'll be running a ``subshell'' with root privilege.  Do
whatever administration you need, then type `exit' to leave that shell
and return to your personal account's shell.

Good luck.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov