Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2007 14:48:19 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, d@delphij.net, Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org>, Mueller <om-lists-bsd@omx.ch>, Olivier
Subject:   Re: suggestion: force removal and reinstallation of eaccelerator on php upgrade

Quoting Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org> (from Wed, 06 Jun 2007 14:30:38 +0200):

> Ion-Mihai Tetcu ha scritto:
>> Why ? We did this in the past for enough ports, we do it for
>> claws-mail-*, etc.
>
> Do we bump every p5-* port when we update perl? No, but you are
> supposed to update them. Here is even more complex: if I update php4,
> why should php5 users update their extensions? There is no reason. And
> only a minimal part of the extensions will effectively require an
> update, so it's simpler to deal with them only when a breakage occurs.

As a data point: the claws-mail plugins are bumped because the plugins =20
don't startup when they are not recompiled. They contain the claws =20
mail version number and bail out if the compiled in one is not equal =20
to the version number of the currently running claws-mail. So anyone =20
using plugins has to update them on each claws-mail update. The =20
portrevision is bumped to trigger this explicitly. This way we also =20
get suitable packages (but I don't remember if this would be the case =20
anyway).

My advise would be to do the same with those ports, which show similar =20
behavior.

Regarding php and eaccelerator: I always recompile eaccelerator by =20
hand when I update php, so I would not mind if the revision of =20
eaccelerator would be incremented on each version bump of php =20
(disclaimer, I didn't follow this discussion and stumbled upon this =20
specific mail only by accident).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Cthulhu for President!
=09(If you're tired of choosing the lesser of two evils.)

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137