Date:      Tue, 28 May 2013 15:14:52 +0200
From:      John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The vim port needs a refresh

On 5/28/2013 14:09, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2013 16:23:18 -0500, Kenta Suzumoto <kentas@hush.com> wrote:
>
>> - It fetches almost 700 patches from what seems like a dial-up
>> connection in AUSTRALIA.
>
> Australia's deploying fiber, so joke's on you!
>
> But honestly this is horrible. I'm sitting at my desk at a well-peered
> ISP with plenty of bandwidth and low, low latency and these patches are
> taking forever. Someone should just add a pre-fetch routine that
> downloads the first 1000 patches in a tarball, puts them in distfiles,
> and they well all be verified and the remaining few be fetched normally.
>
> Someone should teach upstream a serious lesson about versioning. Maybe
> someone just needs to fork vim and tag releases on github so we can
> actually have a sane upstream.
>
> Good grief!

Well Mark, haven't you realized yet that there's actually no problem and
this is "almost completely about (your) laziness"[1]?  All patches only
take 74 seconds to download[2] so there is no sympathy for your
obviously single data point anecdote, you're clearly doing something
wrong.  You need to stop complaining and start think about folks with
slow connections[3] who also rebuild Vim frequently.  Your prefetch/fork
idea is obviously unworkable because the security issues can't be solved.[4]

[1]http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2013-May/083880.html
[2]http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2013-May/083849.html
[3]http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2013-May/083844.html
[4]http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2013-May/083882.html

Regards,
John

P.S. Hopefully it's obvious this is tongue in cheek.