Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 23:24:08 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 08:31:10 -0700 (PDT)
"Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com> wrote:

> Here's mine:  The people of Israel were set aside by God as His
> chosen people.  As such they were to be distinguished from the
> gentiles through ceremonial practices, one of which included not
> eating pork.  When the Messiah came, God expanded His promises
> to the whole world, there was no longer to be any distinction
> between jew and gentile, for all are one in Christ, thus to

The "ceremonial" and "rational" laws promolgated by the Oral and Written Torah are in my opinion primarily to make it's practitioners in contact with the idea of the divine at all times. If G-d is not in my refrigerator where is he? Of course, without a peoplehood such a complex of laws cannot survive, or evolve, so naturally non-Jews are obligated in the 7 mitzvos of Bnai Noach rather than the 613 that apply to Jews. (Unless they of course of their own volition choose to join the Jewish people, but gaining converts is not a goal of Judaism.)