Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 11:06:50 -0500
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: merging current's jail functionality to stable

[[ replying to your own message is fun ]]
On 9 October 1999 at 10:02, Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com> wrote:
[snip]
> As I see it, there are these options:
>   = Damn the binary compatibility.  Go ahead and commit it.
>     Inform any known vendors about the change and encourage
>     them to make the trivial updates needed.
>   = Wrap these changes with ``options JAIL''.  There are over
>     130 files that would need ``#ifdef JAIL'' as it is.  This
>     could be reduced, but any way you slice it, a lot of pollutant
>     would have to be introduced.
>   = Don't commit it, it is too much trouble.
>   = Use magic on the 3rd-party KLDs so that calls of suser are
>     folded to suser_xxx.  This can't be perfect, because we'll
>     lose the accounting info parameter, but it might be better
>     than breaking the binary.

I forgot one more, which is probably the most desirable if there
are a significant number of 3rd-party binaries to support:
    = Don't change suser, but bring in the rest of the changes needed
      for jail (add suser_xxx and update the 16 or so files that need
      the new semantics).  This means that suser in -STABLE and -CURRENT
      are still different (as it is today), but it puts of breaking
      binary compatibility until 4.0-RELEASE.

This didn't occur to me earlier, mostly because I would like
the suser from -CURRENT to be merged into -STABLE.  Strictly
speaking, this isn't necessary to support jail.

Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org