Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 1997 13:31:36 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        HawkeWerks Multimedia <hawke@hawkewerks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as an ISDN Router

> I've got a small network of 5 pc's. One of which is a 486/100 with 32 mb
> ram and FreeBSD. I would like to put a Motorola Bitsurfer ISDN TA in it,
> and use this box as a router to the internet for the other boxes. All the
> other Machines are Windoze 95, and NT, and I would like to have them talk
> to the Internet through the 486. Any suggestions? Is this possible?

Depends on whether those other boxes have real IP addresses.  If they
do, no sweat at all.  If they don't, then you will have to use the
2.2-BETA or later ppp program, which support IP aliasing.

Unfortunately, the Motorola Bitsurfer is a festering piece-o-shit(tm)
and you'd do very well to stay away from it or anything else from
Motorola's communications products division.  Cisco has also been
doing quite a bit of testing with their stuff, and the unanimous
decision seems to be "buy a modem or TA from Moto and you will lose."

I use the ADTRAN ISDN TA and I've been 100% happy with it.  The next
generation ADTRAN stuff looks even better, and they have always been
VERY receptive to requests.  I spent about an hour talking to them at
COMDEX and went away quite impressed that they actually understood the
ISDN market and seemed to even know what they were doing.  My visit to
the Motorola booth only left me with the impression that they have a
fine marketing department. :-)

					Jordan