Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:30:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kruptos@netzero.net (Kevin Brunelle)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C style continued.... (Craig and Terry)

> Okay, I was not able to find out for certain, but I believe that the
> school retains the right to own the rights to all work done for classes.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've had to deal with this topic and
those like it (e.g. non-competition agreements, assignment of
patent rights, etc.) during a professional career of over two
decades.

Ask the University legal council; they are there to answer such
questions.

I won't comment on specific hearsay since it could have been
garbled in the translation, and was out of context.  I will
make a couple of general comments based on my own experience,
though:

1)	No matter what license you use, you can always release
	code under a different license, so long as it is not a
	derivative work based on code under a particular license.
	Derivative works of GPL'ed code are GPL'ed.  If you
	can get assignment of rights, you can release the code
	under a different license.  This is what The Free
	Software Foundation required for the GNU utilities, and
	it's what the Regents of the University of California,
	Berkeley required for BSD UNIX contributions.

2)	You retain all rights to your code, unless you have
	entered into a work for hire contract, or otherwise
	explicitly ceded those rights (this is called an
	assignment of rights) under conract.  Contracts are
	not legally binding, without consideration.

3)	Most of his assumptions about license are incorrect,
	since GPL does not require that you publish the code,
	and you only grant rights when you publish under a
	particular license, so you can create proprietary
	derivate works of GPL'ed code, all you want.

4)	When working as a team, if the intent is publication,
	there should be a single license, since publication
	should be useful.  A UCBL/GPL licensed combination
	is not legal to distribute as precompiled binaries.

5)	GPL'ed style guides and assignment notes and directions
	have severability.  Unless your code is derived from
	his code, it's not enforcible.  For "directions", see
	point #2.

IMO, if he forces you to use his code as a starting base for
every project, he's not teaching you how to do what you are
paying him to teach you, unless you are paying him to teach
you how to write only parts of programs, never a whole product.

If you have to live with this guy, I'd really go after use of
process patented algorithms, particularly those belonging to
your university.  I understand what the guy thinks he is
achieving, but he's not operating on sound legal advice.  As
a former IBM employee, IBM refused to let us use GPL'ed code
that might embody IBM patents, on the legal theory that it
would grant royalty-free license to use those patents, and
in granting that to one, federal law requires you grant it
to others, on a non-discriminatory basis.  I trust their
lawyers interpretation of the law.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---