Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 17:16:49 +0100
From:      andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
To:        davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: should permissions of /usr/bin/login be changed to 0100 ???

David Nugent writes:
> On Feb 02, 1997 at 01:54:54PM, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> > >From the OPIE README file:
> > [...]
> >         While an almost universal "feature", most people remain unaware that
> > an intruder can log into a system, then log in again by running the "login"
> > command from a shell. Because the second login is from the local host, the
> > utmp entry will not show a remote login host anymore. The OPIE replacement
> > for /bin/login currently carries on this behavior for compatibility reasons.
>
> Compatibility that is broken, imho. It breaks wtmp (and therefore
> last(1)), for example, by having a login record (the original) with
> no logout record.
>

> > If you would like to prevent this from happening, you should change the
> > permissions of /bin/login to 0100, thus preventing unprivileged users from
> > executing it. This fix should work on non-OPIE /bin/login programs as well.
>
> Actually, imho, NO user should be able to execute it. login should
> not be setuid. I see no functionality that su(1) doesn't already
> take care of.
>

> > Our /usr/bin/login program has the following permissions:
> > -r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  24576  6 Feb 01:28 /usr/bin/login
> >
> > Would it be useful to change permissions to 0100 ?
>
> Just removing the setuid bit makes it harmless, but 0100 will
> prevent anyone but root trying, anyway. I'm all for it.

So would it be ok, to install "login" with 0100 permissions ? If
nobody is against it, I'd do the change in -current.

Wouldn't that be additionally something for 2.2 and 2.1.7 ?
After the whole security debate ?!

--
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de