Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:18:09 +0200
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        Einstein Oliveira <einstein@yawl.com.br>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: inflate_fast error with eclipse eclipse-3.1.1_3 and jdk-1.4.2p8_2

Einstein Oliveira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After upgrade jdk1.4.2 to patch level 8 this message appears every time
> I try to start eclipse.
>
> ----
> An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
> Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x286D3F57
> Function=inflate_fast+0x17
> Library=/usr/local/jdk1.4.2/jre/lib/i386/libzip.so
> ----
>
> After that the only thing I can see is the eclipse splash screen with a
> error dialog saying that JVM terminated with exit code 1.
>
> Checking the archives of this list I've found this suggestion:
>
>     "portupgrade -uf libfreetype\* fontconfig\* libXft\*"
>
> with some people reporting that the problem was solved, but I tried it
> with no luck (maybe because I'm using jdk1.4 and the suggestion was for
> jdk1.5).
>
> I'm also did a portupgrade on eclipse (just in case).
>

> Is there something else that I should try to fix this ?

It seems that inflate_fast was not made private when the relevant patch
made its way into jdk14:

% objdump -T /usr/local/jdk1.4.2/jre/lib/i386/libzip.so | grep inflate_fast
0000ff40 g    DF .text  00000687 inflate_fast
% objdump -T /usr/lib/libz.so | grep inflate_fast
0000572c g    DF .text  000004cd inflate_fast