Date:      Mon, 12 May 2003 18:03:29 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely9.cicely.de>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        Rob Lahaye <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject:   Re: How to make Mozilla display Korean (or CJK-type) characters?

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 11:46:45AM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 08:29, Bernd Walter wrote:
> > On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 12:47:57PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 11:28, Rob Lahaye wrote:
> > fontconfig-2.1_2
> > freetype2-2.0.9
> > IIRC these were recent when I first noticed this problem.
>
> They're not anymore.  You should update to fontconfig-2.2.0, and
> freetype2-2.1.4_1.

I'll do.

> > > to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts, ~/.fonts, or, if another location, make
> > > sure you add that location to /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts/local.conf per the
> > > instructions at
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html#ANTIALIAS
> >
> > Sound like much to read - and given that I run XFree86-4.2.0_1,1 on
> > my display.
> > Are you expect this might a problem on the X-server?
> > I had not thought about this, because no-roman fonts always worked
> > until then.
>
> Mozilla uses a completely new font system now.  If you want to take
> advantage of it, you need to make sure all your ports are up-to-date.
> If you're happy without anti-alias support in Mozilla, then I guess
> you're done.  However, I can confirm Korean webpages work for me in
> Mozilla with anti-alias support.

Updating the X server is not always possible.
If mozilla has problems with a 1 year old X server than something is
wrong.
Well - if it's a bug in the server - OK, but if it's requires a
specific (maybe XFree only) new feature then it's bad.

ticso@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de